Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Driving In The Snow

Today the roads have been really terrible. I wasn't aware that so much snow had fallen until I went to take my daughter to school. When I stepped outside all I thought was Yikes!!!
I usually do not have a problem with snow covered roads because I learned to drive in the snow and I just felt really comfortable behind the wheel. But then last month, just before Christmas, I slid off the road on my way to work. I wasn't hurt and I didn't drive into anything or anybody, but it was so scary. Since then I have been feeling less than confident behind the wheel.
So this morning when I saw all the snow I was a little bit nervous. I am very glad to say that I kept the truck on the road, which I am sure is because of my excellent driving skills :) Or, I guess it could be the fact that we just got new tires.
When I was almost to work I saw another girl skid off the road, though. It was quite scary because she was in the oncoming lane and I thought she might hit me. But thankfully she was alright and just slid onto the shoulder.
I kept driving at first because I figured that she would be able to pull back out and I saw that she was safely out of the way of traffic, but then I started feeling bad. I kept looking in my rear view mirror waiting for her to pull out and she didn't. I was wondering how much help I could be, and telling myself she would be alright. But finally I had to turn around and make sure.
I am so glad that I did. I know what it feels like to have people drive by and not see if you are alright. When it happened to me last month, nobody stopped. I was halfway home (walking in the crazy deep snow on the side of the highway) when someone gave me a ride. I really appreciated that man's help, and I was so happy that he was there when I needed him.
When I pulled up I could see that she had been crying and she seemed very shook up. I gave her a ride to work, and then I went on my way. I feel really good about this, and she was so grateful.
However, I am a little disappointed that I hesitated before I helped. It made me wonder why. Why do we hesitate when someone needs us? I think that this was an opportunity for me to realize that all the people who drove past me were not mean or horrible. They were just like me. I mean I almost drove on and I knew what it felt like. I am so glad that this happened because now I know to be aware. I need to be more aware of other people, and I need to be more prepared to help when I can.
I think sometimes we get so caught up in our own stuff, that we block out a lot of things around us. I guess I can use this as a learning experience. Now that I am aware of how much I might be missing, I will really try to keep my eyes open. Next time I want to be the girl who stops her car right away and lends a hand. I am going to make a huge effort to keep my eyes open. There are people all around me who may need my help, and I really want to be there for them.
It may only be something as little as a smile to brighten someones day, but I want to start paying attention.
I think we should all try and brighten someone else's day, what a world this could be :)

I hope everyone has a fabulous day. Keep your eyes open!

1 comment:

Stevyn Colgan said...

Good for you. I'd have done the same. Those little random acts of kindness is what makes us human I guess. On a different subject, I wish they'd include handling skids as part of every driver's basic training. I was taught by the police nearly 30 years ago and snow and ice hold no fear for me. Knowledge is a great confidence-booster and comfort. x