Sunday, February 8, 2009

Sheduled Joy

I have been a little sick this weekend. It is a really yucky sinus infection or something, so I have a wonderful headache :) My daughter is sick too, poor baby.
I am so glad that I am in a better frame of mind lately. Before, if I got sick, I would hide under the covers and feel miserable and sorry for myself. But not now. I refuse to feel worse than I have to. I think healthy thoughts, I take care of myself and I go on with my routine. I mean, I feel like I am like twelve months pregnant right now, so it is a little more difficult, but I still do my best. I used to take time out of my day to focus on how crappy I was feeling, and now I refuse to do it. I will focus on the positive, even when I am feeling under the weather, and I really do feel better faster.
I was thinking about this the other day. The fact that I used to waste time on negative thoughts and feelings, when I should have been focusing on positive things instead. It actually occurred to me when I was reading a post on the pregnancy site I visit. A woman was talking about how her husband is going away in April, and when she marked it on the calendar she realized it was the one year anniversary of her mother's death. She was unsure if she wanted her husband to go away, because she planned on being upset on this day.
I was thinking that it seems weird to me that people schedule time for sadness. I understand that it would be a rough day, I would be upset too. But why are we so much more likely to schedule sadness than joy? I have decided that I will not 'schedule' sadness anymore. I mean when it comes I will feel it, and deal with it, and experience it. But I will no longer plan for it. I am choosing to plan for happiness and joy. I won't hide from sadness, but I won't go looking for it either!

Have a great day :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

the truth of it is that some people are more comfoartable when they are in pain, and so they go out of their way to satay there, without even knowing it.
sad but true.
gratitude is the key to happiness.

Lisa xx