Sunday, October 4, 2009

On The Road Again!

Lately I have been going through a lot of changes. You wouldn't know it to look at me, because they are all internal. But I am learning so much about who I am and who I want to be. I am trying to create my life exactly how I want it.
I think it must be natural that I have been having so many ups and downs lately. This is how change occurs, I guess. It is not just a straight and easy path, it is a bumpy and winding road.

I feel like a lot of my time on this journey has been spent sitting on the side of the road and waiting for someone to come along with a map.

Or backtracking and getting lost!

I guess what I am trying to say is that for me, and probably everyone, change is
hard. I spend a lot of my time thinking I am not getting anywhere at all.
But then I will have a breakthrough, and all of a sudden I am off again. With a full tank :)

I had one of these moments (or breakthroughs) last night.

I was talking to my husband and he said something to me that hurt my feelings. He didn't mean to and he probably isn't even aware that he did.
I was thinking about it after and I realized that what he said is something I am always telling him about me. Just one of those things I ALWAYS say about myself. Like 'I am a so lazy' or 'I should do this' or 'I never finish anything I start'. Little, silly, negative things that I am continuously throwing out there.
He was just innocently throwing it back to me.
Then I realized that all of the things that my family say to me that hurt are things I have said to them about me! It occurred to me that I am giving people weapons to hurt me with. I am giving them power over me and then wondering why they use it.
I am letting my lack of self confidence rule me and I am basically telling people to treat me like garbage.
I said this to my husband and he said "that is what I have been saying to you forever". Well, okay then, I am listening :)
I guess this is one of those 'easy little things' I have been missing out on!

So I have decided that I will not help anyone put me down. I will not give them the weapons to use against me. I will not say anything negative about myself. Even the littlest thing can come back at me and cause me pain, especially when I hear it from someone else.

I am going to take back my power and be the person I want to be. I will not hide behind excuses and be afraid of change. I am going to be in charge of my life and I will start with loving me.


So, I guess I am on the road again! It feels good :)

3 comments:

Maureen said...

Girlfriend! Please know that you are not alone. If you like, I can be right there with you. An empty nester trying to figure out the next step.

P.S. I see that you read "The Four Agreements". Do yourself a favor, get the CD and listen to it in your car. It will reinforce what you have already read.

Maureen said...

Come out, come out, wherever you are....

Mel said...

Hi There.

This is Mel from Junkin Junky.
First, let me thank you for visiting my blog.

Second, I can connect with so many of the things you write about.

I'm looking forward to your updates.