Friday, September 18, 2009

Putting Off Happiness???

You should know that I am a HUGE procrastinator!
The funny thing is that I hate this about myself and yet it is the thing I have the hardest time changing.
I do not like to be late, yet I am always running behind schedule. I always like to plan things and be prepared, yet I leave everything until the last minute.
It absolutely drives me CU-RAAAZY!!!
Anyway I think I had an epiphany the other day. I was in the shower, where apparently I do all my best thinking ;), and it occurred to me that procrastinating is like putting happiness off until later.
I mean if I do the dishes right away I am so happy about how clean my kitchen looks and I can relax, but if I do them later my kitchen looks crappy and on top of that I feel bad because once again I put something off that I could have just done and gotten over with.
Not to mention the fact that when I put off a small job until later it is usually a GINORMOUS job by the time I 'get to it'.
So I finally realized that every time I say "I'll do that later" it is the same thing as saying "I will be happy later".
Lately I haven't been putting anything off, no matter how big or small, and shockingly (sarcastic much?) I am much happier. I feel like I am being the real me, finally.
I am planning, I am cleaning things as I notice them, I am following the 'never put off until tomorrow what you can do today' rule.
It is definitely making my life run smoother.
I know people are probably saying 'Duh - that is so easy! I have always known that'. But honestly for me it wasn't really clicking until now.
So I am wondering how many other 'easy' little things I am missing out on.
If one little change can make such a huge difference where else can I improve?
I am definitely going to be keeping my eyes open for ideas - no more procrastinating there either:)


What have you been putting off?

3 comments:

forever lost said...

I am learning this as well and trying to retrain (as gently as possible) my family. Learning to put your dishes in the dishwasher NOT just to the sink is magic.
Wipe down bathroom like every other day to keep it shiny too.
NOW...working on decluttering EVERY SPOT of my home if it doesnt have a place and a place can not be made for itthen...byebye

BALLET NEWS said...

Sometimes it's better to procrastinate.... have a lovely weekend

Maureen said...

I read through several of your posts and know with certainty that we are on the same "page" in the book of life. In sooooo many ways.... One step in front of the other my friend, one foot in front of the other.